It's been a crazy stretch of learning, and we continue to move onwards! We finished How the World Works and started a new unit of inquiry: Where We Are in Place and Time. Our central idea is the following: Natural and societal events cause change and movement. We've learned about what differentiates the two and read various articles about how they affect people. Here's a picture of some of the work we've done! Ask your student about it!
- Solve multistep division number stories
- Solve multistep fraction number stories
- Generate and identify patterns
- Learn to notice and name different informational text features
- Caption, diagram, fact box, table
- Continue writing three paragraph reader's letters
- Focus on writing complete sentences with punctuation
- Finish learning about natural events and how they affect people
- Finish learning about societal events and how they affect people
- Start writing feature articles about immigration
We are now enrolling Kindergarten students for the 2017-18 school year. You can find enrollment information by clicking HERE or you can stop into the school office between the hours of 8:00 – 4:30 PM for help with enrollment. If you know of someone with a Kindergartner, please tell them to come to school!
Mitchell Elementary School & Community Action Network – Emergency Food Pantry
In partnership with The Community Action Network of Ann Arbor we are happy to announce a free, emergency food pantry located at Mitchell School in the Community Center. This service is open to all Mitchell School families. You can find more information by clicking HERE.
Mitchell Family Talent Show
It’s time for the Mitchell School Family Talent Show! Permission slips have gone home. Anyone wishing to be in the show this yearmust return their signed permission slip to the school office by Friday, March 31st. Thank you to Christine Payne for organizing the show again this year!
Do you play an instrument, sing, dance, tell jokes, perform magic tricks, compose poems or songs, or have another talent? We want you to come share your talent! Your family members are welcome to be in your act too!
*Acts will be expected to be ready to perform at the first practice. All acts must be appropriate for an elementary school audience. Let’s keep it positive! Positive messages, positive actions, no swearing, child appropriate language and topics, inclusive and welcoming to anyone viewing. Acts are expected to practice on their own between the dates of practices to improve their performance. Participants are expected to be supportive, cooperative and respectful to all. Acts may be asked to be shortened. Permission Forms are due by Friday, March 31st.
Parking Lot Safety - Parent Drop-Off & Pick-Up
A friendly reminder…Please, no parking in the circle drive.
- MITCHELL PARKING LOT: At the end of the day, please do not block the entrance/exit of the parking lot or park illegally. If no spots are available, you can park in the Scarlett lot or wait in the pick-up line. We will do our very best to move quickly at the end of the day but will not sacrifice student safety.
- SCARLETT PARKING LOT: You may park in the Scarlett lot if the Mitchell lot is full. The rear door, off the walk way past the new addition, will be open at 3:45. DO NOT PARK NEAR THE CURB – THIS AREA IS FOR BUSSES ONLY! Park in a parking space!
When we return from Spring Break, 5th grade students will begin the MSTEP test. The MSTEP test is required by the State of Michigan for all 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. If you have questions please contact Mr. Hilton at 997.1216. 4th grade MSTEP testing will be 5/3, 5/4, 5/9, and 5/10.